In the latest survey made by WHO states that over 300 million people were suffering from obesity due to health related problems. In which 5%of them were children. So, prevention of childhood obesity should be carried in the early stage of its occurrence.
Obesity is viewed as the serious problem in children. Obesity is referred as the accumulation of excess fat content in the body. Obesity can occur to all age groups .Obesity is caused when the body consumes more calories than it burns.
Obesity has a predominant effect on children's life. It causes many health risk problems like over weight, cancer, osteoarthritis, heart disease, type 2
and breathing difficulties. It also causes social and emotional problems. Children suffering with obesity also suffer obesity in adult age. Obesity prevention in childhood should be taken to avoid the above mentioned health risk problems.
Obesity is caused by many factors like:
• Dietary calories
• Genetic problems
• Sedentary life style
• Infectious agents
• Medical and psychiatric illness
• Social determinants
These obesity factors cause obesity in childhood. But most of the medical practitioner still believes that obesity is mainly caused by more calories intake and lack of physical exercise. These obesity factors increases health problems with increase in age. So prevention of obesity in childhood should be taken immediately.
Obesity Prevention in childhood: Preventing obesity in childhood should be taken as serious job because of its adverse effects .Childhood obesity prevention should be done by considering its causing factors. By taking some of the preventive measures we can prevent childhood obesity.
1. Giving low calorie content food in childhood: Give calorie deficit content to stop gaining excess body weight. For this you have to give a less food intake at regular intervals of time. Avoid giving junk foods which contains oil, sugar and flour. Giving fiber-rich foods like apples, oranges, grapes, broccoli and lemon can prevent childhood obesity. Make a track record of their diet and checkout the. Let them to drink 10-15 glasses of water daily to avoid hunger. It helps in increasing metabolism rate and reduces over weight.
2. Breastfeeding and low solid food intake: Breastfeeding is must and should in their childhood, as mother's milk contains more protein food which helps them in having effective metabolism rate. Generally effective metabolism rate will avoid the occurrence of childhood obesity. And during childhood allow them to take low solid content food, as it contains more fat content food leading to childhood obesity.
3. Make a habit of doing regular exercises: Natural exercisesplays a key role in fighting against childhood obesity. If the metabolism rate is high in the body then it will be easy to lose weight and if the metabolism rate is low then easy to gain more weight. So, in order to maintain high metabolism rate make them to do regular exercises like walking, Aerobic exercises, skipping, jumping, cycling, weight lifting exercise, swimming and sit-ups.
4. Limit them to watch television: Avoiding television watching by the children will prevent them from obesity. Due to sedentary activities, they gain more excess weight and results in childhood obesity. So, avoid them to watch TV and having snacks while watching it.
Prevention of obesity in childhood is very important because it causes many health risk problems. Children suffering with obesity also suffer obesity in adult age, these obesity causing factors increases health problems with increase in age. So, avoiding obesity in childhood is very essential to lead a safe and healthy life