Why do people have Lasik surgery?
Research has shown four main reasons in having Lasik surgery over glasses or contact lenses.
1. Life simplification: No longer having deal with glasses or contacts lens.
2. Independence: Freedom from dependence on glasses or contacts lens.
3. Performance: Ability to perform better in any activities.
4. Ability to see when it counts: In certain profession like army or navy or air force having clear vision plays important role and in many other field.
What is Lasik?
It is the process for eye vision correction with the help of laser. It is used to remove yournearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism with the help of laser. To get your earlier and better vision back and to free you from using contact lenses or glasses which you might be using right now before going for an surgery for proper vision.
Who is a good candidate for Lasik surgery?
- Lasik surgery can be treated in a very broad range of nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism. Numbers ranging from +6 to -12 can be easily treated.
- Candidate should be 18 years of age or above, in a good general health and should have good eyes health with no diseases such as glaucoma or cataract.
Lasik surgery has proven overwhelmingly successful in reducing dependence on glasses and contact lenses. This has reduced in dependence and safety rate of a person when they used to face while playing, driving, and watching TVs or to participate in any career requiring excellent vision.
What are the types of Lasik surgery?
There are two types of Lasik Custom and Conventional. Both method help to have your normal vision back without using glasses or contact lenses there is not much of difference between them but it depends upon patients which they prefer.
Difference between Custom and Conventional Lasik surgery?
Custom helps you to give excellent night vision, it's like using glasses with anti reflector coating. Custom will help you to attain very superior quality of vision. Example: you will notice the absence of glare and halos surrounding car headlight at night
Important things a person should keep in mind before having surgery?
- Drink plenty of water, avoid alcohol and caffeine.
- We ask you not to wear any eye makeup. It may contain some chemicals which may interfere with laser.
- We highly recommend not to use perfume, deodorants, after shave or cologne because it may interfere with the laser.
- If you are using contact lenses instead of glasses we recommend you to discontinue a week prior to Lasik.
It usually takes less than 15 minutes in operating room. The actual laser time is approximately 1 to 2 minutes.
Does it hurt?
There is almost no pain involved in this surgery, but many of patients find this procedure slightly uncomfortable. Anesthetic drops are used to numb eye just before surgery begins. After surgery eye may have foreign body sensation or slight irritation for couple of hours, like grain sand in your eye but most of patients are very comfortable shortly hereafter.