Hospital bags are often left to the last minute, as there are so many other preparations required for a new baby. At the end of 36 weeks your baby is full-term so could arrive at any time, this is when you should have your hospital bag packed, if you have not already done so.
Where to start?
Do not panic. Here We have compiled a list of essential items for your birth bag; this list is a culmination of midwives' suggestions and mother's feedback. Do not forget that partners love to be involved. You could delegate some, or all, of the task of putting your hospital bag together while you relax in preparation for the big day.
What to pack in your hospital bag?
Some people pack a whole suitcase for their hospital births and a few are unprepared and just manage to bring themselves. This list covers the essential items you should take to support your hospital birth and why. There is also list of suggested luxury items afterwards which mothers have found comforting and relaxing to have with them in hospital:
Essential Hospital Birth Bag Items
- Sponge - For cooling mother during labour
- Lip Balm - Thirsty work can leave you with dry lips
- Bendy straws - Makes it easier to drink from glasses or cups if you are focussed on labour
- Hair band - To keep hair out of your face
- Tissues - There won't be a dry eye when your baby arrives
- T-shirt/Spare top - Useful for either the mum or the birth partner if their top gets soiled or wet during the birth.
- Nursing Pads - Useful whether you choose to breastfeed or not
- Flannel - Soaked in warm water and placed on your perineum after the birth to relieve soreness
- Pants - Either cotton or disposable pants which you are willing to throw away after use
- Maternity Towels - Absorbent Mat (you can also buy disposable changing mats instead)
- Great for protecting the bed, chairs, car seat. Useful for when waters have broken and also to use in the first 48 hours after childbirth.
- Shampoo / Conditioner
- Body wash
- Baby grow
- Newborn nappies
- Baby hat and mittens
- Hooded baby towel
- For wrapping up your baby when it's first born
- Cotton buds or wet wipes
Luxury Hospital Birth Bag Items
Home from Home
- Night dress - Which does up at the front so you can breast feed your baby easily
- Lavender oil - Lavender promotes relaxation and is a popular choice of oil for use in labour. It can be added to massage oil, or to water and sprayed around the room
- Music and music player - To create a calm ambience for you to labour and give birth in
- Dressing gown
- Massage oil and massager
Don't forget to put your baby seat in the car so that you can take your new baby home safely and start enjoying the new addition to your family.