Mesothelioma is a form of cancer that occurs in individuals that have been exposed to high levels of asbestos. In the initial stage tumors will develop in the mesothelium, or lining around the lung, and will then spread outwards to infect other parts of the body. It can become a terminal disease that is difficult to treat. It is essential that mesothelioma symptoms are spotted at an early stage so that treatment can at least be attempted.
The hope for a cure is slim but there are techniques on offer that can improve the quality of life of mesothelioma sufferers. The following signs can often be taken to show the possible presence of this form of cancer -
1. Blood in mouth: Anytime that you cough up blood you should immediately contact your GP as it can be the sign of a serious medical condition such as mesothelioma. If the cancer is present then you may also experience difficulty swallowing your food.
2. Weight loss: Individuals that suffer from mesothelioma will be affected by a degree of weight loss. If you are shedding pounds and yet your diet and exercise regime stay the same then you should book an appointment with a doctor.
3. Pleural Effusion: The fine asbestos dust causes damage and irritation to the lining of the lungs. A common symptom is Pleural Effusion in which there is a painful build up of fluid within the lungs. This may show itself as a severe pain in the chest or problems associated with breathing.
4. Lumps: If you have mesothelioma then there is every chance that you will develop lumps or growths on your torso, specifically around the chest or abdomen areas. When you take a shower it is important to check for any abnormal lumps on your body.
5. Cough: When suffering from this form of cancer there is often a dry cough present. This does not produce and mucus or phlegm as is the case with a typical winter cold or influenza.
6. Aches: If the cancer spreads to other organs in your body that you are likely to experience widespread aches and throbbing sensations.
7. Bowel: If you have mesothelioma it can easily affect the stomach and bowel. If you have been experiencing alternate bouts of constipation and diarrhea then you have one of the signs of the disease. But be aware that bowel problems may be due to various conditions.
The instant that you feel you may be experiencing any number of the symptoms of mesothelioma you should seek medical guidance. Most cancers can now be spotted easily with the latest advancements in health technology.