Allergic rhinitis results when allergies like dust, pet dander, pollen, smoke attack your immune system and cause congestion, stuffy/runny nose, watery eyes and sneezing. It also involves itchy eyes and nose. Treatment involves easing the symptoms and avoiding exposure to irritants and allergens. It is a very common problem in pollen season and that's why is often referred to as 'hay fever'. People having chronic / perennial allergic rhinitis suffer these symptoms throughout the year. Mild cases can be treated with antihistamines available over the counter. However if the symptoms are severe then allergy shots may be prescribed.
In most countries, allergic rhinitis is at its peak and very common during pollen season. Hence it is advisable to be cautious and begin the required medication and treatment before the beginning of the season and prepare yourself. Most important is to fortify your immune system for which most important is vitamin C. Have vitamin C rich foods in your daily diet such as freshly squeezed orange juice, pineapples, tomato soup. Vitamin A is also very important for strengthening mucus membranes. Include carrots in your daily diet.
Avoid inflammation aggravating foods such as dairy products, meat, wheat, sugar and lots of salt. And have foods that are anti-inflammatory and have antioxidants including beans, vegetables and fruits.
9 home remedies for allergic rhinitis
1. It is vital to avoid exposure to allergens and to create allergen free environment.
2. Your room, furniture, sofas, mattresses, carpets, rugs should be dusted and cleaned regularly.
3. Place air purifiers and humidifiers/dehumidifiers in your room. The correct humidity level of 45% - 50% should be maintained inside. Too much humidity and too less are both bad for this condition and aggravate symptoms.
4. Use saline nasal wash to keep your nasal passage moist and to clear mucus.
5. Steam inhalation has been used for hundreds of years to clear nasal passage and loosen mucus. Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil or peppermint to the steaming water and inhale the vapors.
6. Keep yourself hydrated. Drink plenty of fluids, 6-8 glasses of room temperature water, soups, broth.
7. Having freshly produced unfiltered honey relieves allergic rhinitis.
8. Make a mixture of 1 tablespoon each of honey and lemon and briefly heat it. Have 1 teaspoon of this mixture three times daily to treat your hay fever.
9. Consult a practitioner before having any supplements. For instance probiotic supplements are known to ease the severity of the condition. Herbal preparation such as biminne has been known to effectively relieve symptoms. Indian gooseberry and Echinacea pills available over the counter are also known to naturally strengthen immune system. But it is recommended to consult your physician before doing self medication.