Are you worried about wrinkles? A lot of people are. Well, wrinkles may not be a big deal when you are already nearing your golden years. Suffice it to say, they are indeed normal manifestations of skin aging. But wrinkles developing on a thirty year-old and becoming very prominent by the time one reaches 45 is something to be concerned about. You wouldn't really like the idea of looking old when life, as they say, "has only just begun," would you?
Premature Aging and Free Radical Damage
Perhaps you already know that wrinkles form when the skin loses moisture and becomes less elastic, as what normally happen when it ages. But do you know that there are other factors that contribute to this phenomenon they call "premature aging"?
Free radical damage is one of the major factors that cause premature aging. A free radical is an atom that contains only one electron instead of two. Now since electrons should come in pairs, the atom with just one electron will naturally seek a pair from another atom. However, in so doing, the atom from which an electron was taken will need to seek another pair from another atom. The cycle goes on and on, eventually creating cellular damage. As this happens, there is an abnormal accumulation of elastin in the skin, resulting to the overproduction of metalloproteinase which can cause collagen to break down, further causing wrinkles.
How to Remove Wrinkles From the Face Naturally
Naturally removing wrinkles from the face may prove to be very difficult, especially if the wrinkles are old and deep. Nonetheless, here are some of your options:
- Getting enough antioxidants. Antioxidants are very important in warding off the effects of free radical damage. If you want to remove old wrinkles, you first need to prevent new ones from forming by making sure you have enough antioxidants to protect your body. Antioxidants are especially necessary with prolonged sun exposure as the harmful UV rays can cause free radical damage. Vitamins C and E are powerful antioxidants, so are Green Tea and Acai Berry. Supplementing your diet with these (or using facial creams that contain these ingredients) is a very good way of combating wrinkles naturally.
- Applying banana-honey face mask once or two times a week. The banana-honey face mask is one of the yummiest and healthiest recipes in the prevention and treatment of wrinkles. To make this mask, mash a few slices of banana and fold in enough honey to make a paste. Wash your face with warm water first, then apply the mask on your face, concentrating on areas where wrinkles are more prominent. Leave on for half an hour at least, then rinse off with warm water. Finally rub on an ice cube all over your face.
- Applying sunflower seed oil on the wrinkles daily.Sunflower seed oil, which has many skin nourishing benefits, has been regarded as nature's gift for wrinkled skin. Massage it gently on your skin morning and evening, and sooner or later you'll notice not only the wrinkles disappearing but also the dark spots.
- Exfoliating regularly. Exfoliating on a regular basis helps get rid of wrinkles as well. As dead skin cells are removed by this act, new skin is revealed. Exfoliating may be done two or three times a week, but if you have sensitive skin, do it just once a week, and always use a moisturizer after.
- Performing facial massages.A facial massage when done consistently and appropriately helps to get rid of wrinkles as it improves blood flow to areas where wrinkles develop. Sufficient blood flow means that the cells of the skin are getting the right nourishment. Facial massages may also facilitate collagen production.